Are you gearing up for the highly anticipated 2023 American superhero film, “The Marvels,” but feeling a bit overwhelmed by the vast Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)? Fret not, as we’re here to guide you through the essentials of what to watch before diving into “The Marvels” and how to approach watching the Marvel movies in order. From the origins of Captain Marvel to the interconnected stories of Ms. Marvel, we’ve got you covered. So, grab your popcorn and get ready for an epic Marvel journey!
What is “The Marvels”?
Before we dive into what you should watch before “The Marvels,” let’s get a brief overview of the film itself. “The Marvels” is a 2023 American superhero film within the MCU, serving as a sequel to 2019’s “Captain Marvel.” Directed by Nia DaCosta, it stars Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel, Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau, and Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel.
The storyline revolves around these three formidable heroes who find themselves in a unique predicament – swapping places upon using their powers. This intriguing concept sets the stage for a thrilling adventure. “The Marvels” premiered in Las Vegas on November 7, 2023, and hit theaters in the United States on November 10 as part of Phase Five of the MCU. While the film received mixed reviews, it holds significant importance in the ever-expanding Marvel cinematic universe.
What to Watch Before “The Marvels”?
To fully grasp the depth of “The Marvels” and appreciate the character dynamics, it’s advisable to explore key Marvel movies and shows. Here’s a recommended viewing order to enhance your understanding:
|Iron Man (2008)||2008|
|The Incredible Hulk (2008)||2008|
|Iron Man 2 (2010)||2010|
|Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)||2011|
|The Avengers (2012)||2012|
|Iron Man 3 (2013)||2013|
|Thor: The Dark World (2013)||2013|
|Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)||2014|
|Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)||2014|
|Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)||2015|
|Captain America: Civil War (2016)||2016|
|Doctor Strange (2016)||2016|
|Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)||2017|
|Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)||2017|
|Thor: Ragnarok (2017)||2017|
|Black Panther (2018)||2018|
|Avengers: Infinity War (2018)||2018|
|Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)||2018|
|Captain Marvel (2019)||2019|
|Avengers: Endgame (2019)||2019|
|Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)||2019|
|WandaVision (2021) [Disney Plus]||2021|
|Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021) [Disney Plus]||2021|
|Loki Season 1 (2021) [Disney Plus]||2021|
|Black Widow (2021)||2021|
|What If…? (2021) [Disney Plus]||2021|
|Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)||2021|
|Hawkeye (2021) [Disney Plus]||2021|
|Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)||2021|
|Moon Knight (2022) [Disney Plus]||2022|
|Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)||2022|
|Ms. Marvel (2022) [Disney Plus]||2022|
|Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)||2022|
|I Am Groot (2022) [Disney Plus]||2022|
|She-Hulk (2022) [Disney Plus]||2022|
|Werewolf By Night (2022) [Disney Plus]||2022|
|Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)||2022|
|Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special (2022) [Disney Plus]||2022|
|Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)||2023|
|Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (2023)||2023|
|Secret Invasion (2023) [Disney Plus]||2023|
|Loki Season 2 (2023) [Disney Plus]||2023|
1. Captain Marvel (2019)
Begin your journey with “Captain Marvel” (2019). This film introduces you to Carol Danvers, also known as Captain Marvel, and provides crucial insights into her background, powers, and journey. Understanding her character is essential as she plays a central role in “The Marvels.”
2. WandaVision (2021)
Next up, delve into the world of “WandaVision” (2021). This series offers a deeper understanding of Wanda Maximoff’s character and her connection to the broader MCU. Wanda’s presence in “The Marvels” makes this show a must-watch.
3. Ms. Marvel (2022)
To comprehend Kamala Khan’s backstory and her role in “The Marvels,” immerse yourself in the “Ms. Marvel” series (2022). Kamala Khan, also known as Ms. Marvel, joins the ranks of superheroes in the MCU, and her journey is an integral part of the film’s narrative.
4. Secret Invasion (2023)
While not mandatory, keeping an eye on “Secret Invasion” (2023) can provide additional context. This series explores the infiltration of Skrulls within Earth’s ranks, and given Monica Rambeau’s involvement in “The Marvels,” her experiences in this series could be relevant.
5. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
For a broader understanding of the MCU’s overarching narrative, consider revisiting “Avengers: Endgame” (2019). This epic crossover event has a profound impact on the Marvel universe, and certain events in “The Marvels” may relate to the aftermath of “Endgame.”
By following this viewing order, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of the characters and their stories, enriching your experience when watching “The Marvels.”
How to Watch The Marvel Movies in Order?
Now that you have a list of essential Marvel content to watch before “The Marvels,” let’s discuss the best approach to watching the Marvel movies in order. Whether you’re a newcomer to the MCU or a dedicated fan looking for a refreshing viewing experience, this method is the way to go.
Marvel movies are organized into phases, and watching them in the order of their release makes the most sense. Here’s why:
1. Chronological Narrative
Marvel carefully crafts its storytelling, and each film contributes to the overarching narrative. Watching the movies in release order ensures you follow the chronological sequence of events, enhancing your understanding of character development and plot progression.
2. Organized by Phases
Marvel’s phases group films with thematic and narrative connections. Watching them in order allows you to appreciate the evolution of the MCU and how each phase builds upon the previous one. It’s like putting together pieces of a grand puzzle.
3. Easier Comprehension
For newcomers, this approach offers a smoother introduction to the MCU’s complex world. You’ll gradually immerse yourself in the superhero saga, making it easier to connect the dots and enjoy the storylines.
4. Unveiling the Exciting Stories
Marvel movies are known for their thrilling and interconnected stories. Following the release order ensures that you discover each character’s journey as it unfolds, leading to those exciting “Aha!” moments.
In summary, if you’re just starting your Marvel cinematic journey or wish to revisit it, watch the movies in the order they were released, organized by phases. It’s the best way to embark on this thrilling adventure and prepare yourself for the excitement of “The Marvels.”
The Marvels Plot
Now that you’re all set to embark on your Marvel marathon, let’s take a sneak peek into the plot of “The Marvels.” The story kicks off with Carol Danvers taking actions that displease the Supreme Intelligence, triggering a conflict among the Kree people. This conflict wreaks havoc on their home planet, Hala.
At the same time, Nick Fury endeavors to establish peace between the Kree and Skrull people, setting the stage for cosmic tensions. Monica Rambeau, always vigilant, investigates strange occurrences in space. As fate would have it, Kamala Khan enters the picture, and the three heroes find themselves swapping places and battling each other’s adversaries.
This unexpected twist reveals a connection between their powers. As “the Marvels,” they unite to prevent Dar-Benn from causing further chaos in the universe. The climactic showdown takes place on the water planet Aladna, where Dar-Benn uses Quantum Bands to create a massive space rift.
While Kamala manages to fix the rift, Monica becomes trapped in another dimension, setting up future adventures. “The Marvels” ultimately explores themes of teamwork, sacrifice, and the consequences of wielding extraordinary powers in the Marvel universe.
The Marvels Release Date
Mark your calendars, Marvel enthusiasts! “The Marvels” is scheduled to hit theaters in India on November 10, 2023. This highly anticipated release promises an exhilarating continuation of the MCU, with a stellar cast led by Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, and Iman Vellani. Prepare for an action-packed adventure as the Marvel universe continues to expand on the big screen.
What to Watch Before “The Marvels” – FAQs
- What is “The Marvels” about, and when is it set to be released? “The Marvels” is a 2023 American superhero film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, serving as a sequel to 2019’s “Captain Marvel.” Directed by Nia DaCosta, it stars Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, and Iman Vellani. The film premiered on November 7, 2023, in Las Vegas and was released in the United States on November 10 as part of Phase Five of the MCU.
- Why is it recommended to watch specific Marvel content before “The Marvels”? To fully appreciate “The Marvels,” it’s advised to watch key Marvel movies and shows. Starting with “Captain Marvel” introduces Carol Danvers, while “WandaVision” provides insights into Wanda Maximoff’s role. Exploring the “Ms. Marvel” series deepens the understanding of Kamala Khan’s backstory, and revisiting Monica Rambeau’s appearances in previous films adds context. A brief review of “Avengers: Endgame” establishes the broader context.
- What significance does “The Marvels” hold in the Marvel cinematic universe? Despite mixed reviews and box office challenges, “The Marvels” is significant in the expanding Marvel cinematic universe. Directed by Nia DaCosta, the film explores a unique phenomenon where Carol Danvers, Monica Rambeau, and Kamala Khan swap places upon using their powers, contributing to the evolving narrative of the MCU.
- Which Marvel content is recommended to watch before “The Marvels”? To prepare for “The Marvels,” it is recommended to watch “Captain Marvel” (2019), “WandaVision” (2021), “Ms. Marvel” (2022), and revisit Monica Rambeau’s appearances in “Captain Marvel” and “WandaVision.” A brief review of “Avengers: Endgame” (2019) is also suggested for a comprehensive understanding.
- How should one approach watching Marvel movies for the first time? For those starting to watch Marvel movies, it’s best to go in the order of their release. Marvel movies are organized into phases, and watching them chronologically makes it easier to understand the unfolding narrative. Whether you’re new to Marvel or rewatching, following the release order, organized by phases, is the recommended approach for an enjoyable exploration of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Now that you’re equipped with the essential knowledge, dive into the Marvel universe and get ready for an incredible cinematic journey leading up to “The Marvels.” Enjoy the adventure!