Cufflinks are one of the most popular fashion accessories for men, but what exactly are they? In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about cufflinks, including their history, types, materials, how to wear them, and much more. So let’s dive in!
History of Cufflinks
Cufflinks have a long and interesting history dating back to the 1600s. They were first worn by wealthy men to fasten their shirt cuffs, which were typically separate from the shirt body. In the 1800s, cufflinks became more affordable and accessible to the middle class, and they quickly became a popular accessory for men’s formal wear.
Types of Cufflinks
Cufflinks come in a variety of styles and types, including:
- Bullet Back
- Chain Link
- Whale Back
- Silk Knot
Each type of cufflink has its own unique design and function, and choosing the right type for your outfit can make all the difference.
Cufflinks are made from a wide range of materials, including:
- Sterling silver
The material you choose can affect the overall look and feel of your outfit, so it’s important to choose carefully.
How to Wear Cufflinks
Wearing cufflinks is easy, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Here are the steps:
- Insert the cufflink through the holes on the shirt cuff.
- Align the front and back of the cufflink, so they are parallel to each other.
- Fasten the cufflink according to its design (i.e., bullet back, whale back, etc.).
- Repeat on the other cuff.
It’s important to note that cufflinks should only be worn with French cuff shirts, which have no buttons on the cuffs.
When to Wear Cufflinks
Cufflinks are typically worn for formal occasions, such as weddings, black tie events, and business meetings. However, they can also be worn for semi-formal events, such as dinners or cocktail parties. It’s best to avoid wearing cufflinks for casual occasions, as they can look out of place.
Caring for Cufflinks
Caring for your cufflinks is important to ensure they last for years to come. Here are a few tips:
- Store them in a jewelry box or pouch to avoid scratches.
- Clean them with a soft cloth to remove dirt and debris.
- Avoid exposing them to harsh chemicals, such as bleach or ammonia.
- Take them off before washing your hands or taking a shower.
When buying cufflinks, there are a few things to keep in mind, including:
- Choose a style and material that complements your outfit.
- Consider the occasion you’ll be wearing them for.
- Choose a reputable seller to ensure you’re getting a high-quality product.
- Check the size and fit to ensure they’ll fit comfortably on your cuffs.
Cufflinks are a timeless and elegant accessory that can add a touch of sophistication to any outfit. Whether you’re dressing up for a formal event or just want to add a little flair to your everyday wear, cufflinks are a great choice. By following the tips and guidelines outlined in this article, you’ll be able to choose the right cufflinks for your outfit and wear them with confidence.